Tuesday, May 28, 2013

So classes have now started and reading is taking up more of my time. 

Yesterday was packed. We went to our classes from 9 to 3:15 ish. When we got back a few of us went downtown to exchange money and get water.  Me and Meg separated from the group and had a few interesting experiences.  I saw 2 boys that looked a little younger than us, maybe in high school, taking pictures of us with their camera phones, which was very funny.  After that Meg tried to walk into the mall area under a pole (like the ones at train tracks) and it came down and almost hit her. Two men were laughing at us for that one.  THEN, we went to the super market to get water and handed the cashier money; the cashier looks at us and says, “This is fake. Where did you get this??” over and over and the entire store started looking at us.  We didn’t get in trouble or anything (stupid Americans) but it was a very embarrassing afternoon.

When we got back to the guesthouse, the people who work here prepared a “cocktail” for us, which was basically like a small party with music and food to welcome us to Kigali.  It was probably my favorite part of the trip so far.  Emily and I tried to talk to the gardener who was sitting beside us, but found out that our Ikinyarwanda was lacking. He and his friends asked us to take a picture with them afterwards, so I guess we weren’t that bad.

After the cocktail, my roommate finally got here, so now I don’t have to sleep by myself at night (YAY!).  Then we all decided to go to the Hotel Mil Collines (that I mentioned earlier – Hotel Rwanda) and got drinks for Lydia’s birthday.  We couldn’t figure out if the hotel had been renovated or not since 1994, but it was very western (and very expensive!).  It was very nice to relax and just hang out with everybody.  When we left, a hotel worker showed us to the nightclub in the bottom of the hotel, which looked really awesome.

At the hotel we sat out at the bar by the pool.  It was a very surreal experience being there and imagining what had taken place there 20 years ago.  Refugees used the pool for drinking water in 1994 and that’s what I kept imagining as we were sitting out there.  I didn’t see any type of memorial but somebody in class said that she thought she saw a small flame memorial around the side.  Most of the people there were Westerners, a few more Rwandans were out by the outside bar.  I think we’ve all decided we want to go back at some point during the trip.

In class we’ve spent some time talking about Paul Rusesabagina (the hotel manager who harbored refugees at the Hotel Mil Collines) and will probably continue the discussion tomorrow. However, many people have been critical of Paul’s role during the genocide because he basically befriended the enemy (Hutu Power leaders and government police) in order to save the lives at the hotel.  Personally, I have a problem with this (from my knowledge so far) because in my eyes, Paul was doing what he had to do in order to save the (many) lives of those around him.  Who cares if he gave beers to Hutu Power if he stopped them from killing the innocent children around his hotel pool?

I’ve wondered if the criticisms of Paul are talked about because of his criticisms of Paul Kagame (the current president).  Kagame was the military leader of the RPF during 1994 and has been president since then but has not exactly implemented a government that most US citizens would consider OK. However, he does draw a lot of support because the country is currently at peace, and what else could you ask for after such atrocities were so recently committed? Under his leadership the government has replaced identifications cards and they not do not say "hutu" or "tutsi" on them.  I currently haven’t formed my opinion of Kagame but as I learn more I will keep you updated. (I think all the information in the paragraph is correct, from my understanding).

Our class on international law, human rights and genocide this morning was especially interesting so I’m going to dedicate a post entirely to that class after this one.

 For dinner Elizabeth, Chelsea, Nicole, Emily and I went to a little pizza place that Peggy (she’s staying in the guesthouse right now and is in Rwanda frequently) told us about.  I had bruchettes for the first time.  We started practicing our ikinyerwanda and I think I can now say “hello”, “good morning”, “goodnight”, “thank you” and “no” – better than nothing.

 I’m not sure what is planned for tomorrow – I think Sarah mentioned something about going to a craft store after classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment